Margi Preus’s writing career began when a kindergarten audition went horribly wrong. Since then, she has written a bazillion plays and a bunch of books, including the Newbery Honor book Heart of a Samurai, the Minnesota Book Award winning West of the Moon, and Midwest Booksellers Choice Award’s The Clue in the Trees, part of the Enchantment Lake mystery series. Her books have been honored as ALA/ALSC Notables, landed on the New York Times bestseller list, selected as an NPR Backseat Book Club pick, and have won multiple awards.
New in 2022 is the picture book Lily Leads the Way (Candlewick) and the middle grade adventure Windswept (Abrams/Amulet).
Not sure which books to read? Let our TBF authors tell you which ones they recommend! Visit our Resources page, then scroll down to "TBF One Book Recommendations". You will also find a more complete list of books by each author under TBF Book List.
When we asked our authors what they were or might have been voted in HS, Margi answered most likely to lose her high school yearbooks..
Other Fun Facts
- Most of my grown up life I directed a comedy theater company.
- Other jobs included: groom at a horse racetrack, adventure travel guide, swimming instructor in small villages in Alaska, artists' model, dance instructor, grape-picker in southern France.
- I traveled through Europe and across a chunk of Canada on a bicycle and have paddled Glacier Bay and Lake Superior by kayak. And once hitch-hiked through the Boundary Waters Canoe area (which means I hitched rides in people's canoes)
- I throw a 110 mph fast pitch.
- One or more of the previous facts is not true.