For as long as she can remember, Sara Shepard has been writing. However, when she was young she also wanted to be a soap opera star, a designer for LEGO, a filmmaker, a claymation artist, a geneticist, and a fashion magazine editor when she grew up. She and her sister have been creating joint artistic and written projects for years, except they’re pretty sure they’re the only ones who find them funny.
She got her MFA at Brooklyn College and now lives outside Philadelphia, PA with her husband and dogs. Her first adult novel is called The Visibles/ All The Things We Didn’t Say.
Sara’s bestselling young adult series, Pretty Little Liars, is loosely based on her experiences growing up on Philadelphia’s Main Line…although luckily she never had any serious stalkers. The series has also inspired the ABC Family television series of the same name.
Not sure which books to read? Let our TBF authors tell you which ones they recommend! Visit our Resources page, then scroll down to "TBF One Book Recommendations". You will also find a more complete list of books by each author under TBF Book List.
When we asked our authors what they were or might have been voted in HS, Sara answered I was sort of voted "Renaissance Woman" because I was into science, art, writing, and on the track team. But I so wasn't a Renaissance Woman. I couldn't hang pants on a hanger..
Other Fun Facts
- I love to knit stuffed animals.
- When I was young my worst words were "spine" and "packet".
- I have a secret regret that I didn't go to medical school. I love reading medical mysteries and watching shows like "Mysteries of the ER".
- I am terrible at wrapping gifts and seriously cannot fold a t-shirt.
- The first time I did a cameo on "Pretty Little Liars", it took me about ten takes to get my lines right. The second time I did a cameo, they had me sit on an old box to read my lines (I was a reporter), and I wore ugly, comfy sneakers. But you can't see it in the shot!