Taran Matharu is a New York Times bestselling author. He was born in London in 1990 and found a passion for reading at a very early age. His love for stories developed into a desire to create his own during early adolescence, beginning his first book at 9 years old.
Straight after graduating with a First Class degree in Business Administration, Taran was keen to explore a new avenue and get inside the publishing world, landing an internship in Digital Sales at Penguin Random House, from June to September 2013.
Thereafter, while taking time off to travel, Taran began to write ‘Summoner’ in November 2013 at the age of 22, taking part in ‘Nanowrimo 2013’.
Thanks to Wattpad.com and updating daily, its popularity dramatically increased, reaching over 3 million reads in less than six months.
After being featured by NBC News, Taran decided to launch his professional writing career and has never looked back.
Not sure which books to read? Let our TBF authors tell you which ones they recommend! Visit our Resources page, then scroll down to "TBF One Book Recommendations". You will also find a more complete list of books by each author under TBF Book List.
- Taran Matharu: how being called poo-skin turned me to writing about fantasy races
- Taran Matharu: 'I think writing is like reading a story that you can decide'
When we asked our authors what they were or might have been voted in HS, Taran answered I probably would have been voted most likely to marry my computer, because I carry my laptop everywhere I go.
Other Fun Facts
- I am originally half Brazilian and half Indian, but I was born and raised in London. I have been to both countries and speak Portuguese fluently.
- I once saved my little sister from a rampaging hippo in Kenya by picking her up and climbing up a wall before it reaches us. I can still remember the sound of it breathing below us when we got to the top!
- I began writing my first novel at the age of 9, a story called “Wizswords” about a family of wizards and warriors who were in a constant battle with a witch called Widower.
- The strangest things I have eaten while traveling are crocodile, kangaroo, llama, camel, zebra, piranha and firefly grubs. Interestingly enough, I caught the piranha myself when I was traveling in the Amazon. It was the same water I had been swimming in a few minutes before! They don’t taste very nice though, they are really bony!
- I wrote the first half of my debut, The Novice, in one month, taking part in National Novel Writing Month, a.k.a. NaNoWriMo. It’s a great way to write, because you basically live in your book’s world the entire time, rather than dipping in and out every now and again.
- If I could choose to be a superhero, I would love to reincarnate with all my memories of my previous lives, reliving the same life. Think a larger scale Groundhog Day. That would be pretty cool!
- If you can only read one of my books before TBF you should read The Novice. It was my debut novel and the first in the Summoner series. You might describe it as Harry Potter meets Lord of the Rings meets Pokemon!